*I can only write from my experience, as a lesbian. I imagine other members of the LGTBQ+ community have to face similar, if not far more difficult, obstacles. Sending love to anyone trying. ❤
- Sperm is expensive. Like $950 per try (plus shipping).
- So- some of us might try to find known donors. This can be extremely difficult and many of them end up changing their mind. Can’t blame them- but it’s definitely emotional. If you’re going that route- be prepared for the possibility.
- You might wanna order in bulk (if you want more than 1 kid from the same donor) because donors max out. They can only help create a certain number of offspring. In Canada its 25 children per population 800,000.
- You have no idea how many tries it will take.
- You can only try 1 time per cycle. The fertility clinic monitors you closely to determine when the prime ovulation time is.
- You have to do a number of tests before you can even think about insemination. Blood tests, ultrasounds, a tubal flush, more blood tests, a psychologist appointment… And even more testing if any of those tests have abnormal results.
- Only 1 round of IVF is covered by the government. After that, accept the fact that you’ll spend thousands of dollars trying to conceive.
- There’s no limit on the number of IUI’s you can try (government covered) but they can be less effective (up to 20% chance of success while IVF averages at 40-45% success rate per try).
- You’ll probably have to take medications/hormones such as Clomid, Progesterone, Letrozole… maybe more?
- The waiting game is insane. The wait for an IVF funded cycle is 1 year.
- You have to pay for sperm storage. $500 per year.
- The process is isolating. It’s hard to find people who have been through the experience and as much as we appreciate people saying “just stay positive” or “it will happen!” we can’t help but feel alone.
SO- if you know a queer couple trying to conceive, be kind. It’s an emotional rollercoaster.
We’ve only just begun our process, I can’t imagine what the couples who have spent years are going through. So. Much. Respect.
Sending so much love to anyone trying out there who’s having trouble or is just emotionally exhausted. ❤